Coleslaw Needs a makeover. There is no reason to slather two cups of mayo and almost a cup of sugar on a head of shredded cabbage. I’m all for regional comfort foods, but let’s keep veggies healthy and delicious. My modified Memphis-style slaw is creamy, sweet and tart, but you can still make out the crunch of the cabbage. Try it with pulled pork and experience what makes this combo a southern favorite.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded or sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I like to use 2% Fage)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Best Foods is the best!)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like to use Dijon or Dulcet's Creole Mustard)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider or a white wine vinegar works best)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Stir together dressing ingredients and toss with the shredded cabbage, carrot and grated onion. Set in refrigerator for a couple hours minimum to develop the flavors and soften the cabbage a bit. Stir before serving and enjoy with pulled pork.