- 2 egg whites (farm fresh or organic is best!)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
inspired by Rebecca Katz, The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Warm the egg whites, maple syrup, honey, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat for a minute. Add the coconut, coconut flour, vanilla, and cardamom and cook, stirring constantly, until the dough starts to dry, about 2 minutes. Drop the dough in 24 small mounds on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.
Amy’s Kitchen Coach Tips
There is such a small amount of flour in this recipe, and the primary structure of the cookie is provided by the coconut and syrup, so any kind of flour, from all-purpose wheat to your favorite gluten free flour, will probably work great. Safe to experiment with this recipe!
For a less sweet version, use brown rice syrup in place of the honey.
Ripe Food & Wine | http://www.ripefoodandwine.com | Amy Andrews firstname.lastname@example.org