This is my favorite way to cook fish at home…steamed with white beans. It’s the best (and easiest) one-pot meal in my repertoire. Many thanks to my friend Colleen Helm for the recipe.
Icelandic Cod or Halibut with Cannellini Beans
serves 2-4 (purchase about 6 ounces fish per person)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and mashed with a few pinches salt
- 1 pinch dried red chile flake
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved or 2 "medium smallish" tomatoes, roughly chopped
- one 29-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup white wine or water or chicken broth
- 12-24 ounces fresh cod or halibut, cut into serving size fillets
- 2 handfuls baby greens, arugula or spinach work well
Splash a large skillet (pick one that has a lid, you'll need it later) with olive oil and turn to medium-high. Add minced garlic and after the 30 seconds it takes you to chop the tomatoes, add those. Add an additional pinch of salt and a dash of dried red chile flakes. Stir a couple times.
Add the drained beans. Pour in a half cup or so of white wine (or water or broth) and stir again. Place the fish fillets on top of the beans, add the greens, and cover the pot so the fish can steam for 10 minutes. Go change your clothes or set the table or pour some wine.
Turn off the heat and let steam 5 more minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Enjoy with a drizzle of olive oil and additional chile flake or Calabrian chili oil.