Looking for dinner ideas that use that assortment of veggies in your CSA box? I found this to be a good one, from Where Women Cook (Winter 2018). Thanks to the author, Sarah, from Mayfair Farm in New Hampshire I was able to make dinner with an assortment of hot peppers, carrots, spring onions and some brussels sprouts I had hanging around in the fridge. All you do is cook some pearl couscous (sometimes called “Israeli couscous”, I get mine from Bob’s Red Mill), grill some veggies, and toss everything together with olive oil, lemon juice, and some herbs. Serve as a side with grilled meat or as part of a tapas-style meal with some deli goodies like prosciutto, marinated giant beans, nuts, cheese, and pour yourself some wine.
Pearl Couscous with Seasonal Veggies
recipe adapted from Where Women Cook (Winter 2018), Sarah from Mayfair Farm in New Hampshire
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I use 1 bouillon cube + hot water; Rapunzel or Edward & Sons)
- 2 cups pearl couscous
Grilled Seasonal Veggies
- 6 cups assorted grilled veggies (toss with some olive oil and salt before putting in grill basket)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp mint, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small head green garlic (or 1 or 2 garlic cloves), minced
Bring the veggie broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the pearl couscous, bring back to boil then lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, covered. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until you're ready.
Mix together the dressing in a glass measuring cup or bowl.
In a large serving bowl, gently toss the pearl couscous, grilled veggies, and dressing. Serve as a side with grilled meat or as part of a tapas style dinner along with some assorted deli items (prosciutto, marinated giant beans, cheese, nuts, you get the idea).
Recipe Notes / Tips
- Some ideas from veggies that like each other:
- red, yellow, orange bell peppers + onions
- mushrooms, eggplant, onions
- summer squash, green onions, green garlic
- the ratatouille: bell peppers, eggplant, onion, tomatoes
- cherry tomatoes, corn (grill on the cob then cut off the kernels)
- thinking about those shiso peppers? toss them on the grill too!