Freshen up your burrito bowl or taco night with this red cabbage and black bean slaw—a beautiful and delicious dose of veggies + plant-based protein. (And it keeps well for a few days, so you might get some for lunch!) Excerpted from Kate Taylor’s new book, Love Real Food. Check out her blog, Cookie + Kate, and buy the book, it’s one of my new favorites (thanks for the boomerang tip, Bridget!)
This slaw is excellent, but you really must make Kate’s complete recipe, “Colorful Weeknight Burrito Bowls”. Imagine it: this slaw, cilantro-lime rice, toasted pepitas, guac, and salsa…!!!
Red Cabbage and Black Bean Slaw
- 1/2 head red cabbage sliced thinly and roughly chopped
- 3 cups cooked black beans two 15 oz. cans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes, maybe more)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt Maldon or Jacobsen
Combine veggies and beans in large bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil and sprinkle in the salt. Toss to combine and set aside so the flavors can mingle a few minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers, keeps well for a few days.