Freshen up your taco night with this red cabbage and black bean slaw—a beautiful and delicious dose of vegetables and plant protein. Avocado Ranch is a great addition if you have the energy to make an additional dressing. The slaw keeps well for a few days, so leftovers are a bonus!
If you have Kate’s book, Love Read Food, make her “Colorful Weeknight Burrito Bowls”. Imagine it: this slaw, cilantro-lime rice, toasted pepitas, guac, and salsa…!!!
Black Bean Slaw with Red Cabbage
adapted from Kathryne Taylor, Love Real Food
- 1/2 head red cabbage sliced thinly and roughly chopped
- 3 cups cooked black beans two 15 oz. cans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes, maybe more)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt Maldon
Combine veggies and beans in large bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil and sprinkle in the salt. Toss to combine and set aside so the flavors can mingle a few minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers, keeps well for a few days.