The single best thing you can do to enhance your at-home salad experience is to never, ever use a bottled salad dressing (or mix packet, for that matter). There are so many wacky ingredients and mystery flavors—don’t eat that stuff. Here is a basic “ranch style” dressing that you can customize by adding a tablespoon of your favorite vinegar, or a couple tablespoons of delicious olive oil, or leave it alone, it’s great as-is.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise (Best Foods)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. fresh green onions or chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. each, fresh parsley, mint and/or basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together with several grinds of black pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to marry the flavors. The resting time will also thicken the dressing.