There’s really no such thing as “too many peaches”, but I felt that way over the weekend when last Tuesday’s farmers market binge started heading towards squishy. One cappuccino into Saturday morning, I wasn’t in the mood for jam production, so turned to Jesse Cool‘s Breakfast in Bed to learn about fruit butters. Wonderful fun! Transformed those peaches, had a scrumptious topping for a cream cheese slathered english muffin, and made the house smell divine. Thank you, Jesse!
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe peaches
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Blanch the peaches by dropping them in boiling water for a minute then into an ice bath. Peel off the skins, remove the pits and roughly chop the fruit.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine peach flesh, sugar, vanilla bean, and cloves. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until peaches are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove vanilla bean.
- Mash the fruit with an immersion blender or with the back of a wooden spoon for a chunkier butter. Simmer 10 more minutes to thicken slightly. Store in jars in refrigerator for a week or two.