6-8 Belgian waffles
6 oz. organic nonfat or lowfat yogurt, lemon flavored (I like Wallaby brand)
3/4 cup organic milk, nonfat or lowfat
1/4 cup sucanat (or any unrefined sugar)
5 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, melted
grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Plug in your waffle iron and get it started heating.
2. Measure milk into 4 cup glass measuring cup. Add yogurt, eggs, sucanat, lemon zest and whisk to combine. Add melted butter and whisk to combine.
3. Measure flours, leavening and salt into large bowl and whisk to break up clumps of oat flour.
4. Pour milk mixture over flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.
5. Pour a heaping 1/2 cup batter into waffle iron and cook until golden brown. (My Uno waffler takes 5 – 6 minutes to cook a waffle.)