Not a food, but some fun in the kitchen none the less! Make this quick play dough, get out the cookie cutters that never see the light of day and you have a fun activity, especially for, but not limited to, the munchkin set.
If you’re really having a Martha-Moment, you can use this dough to make ornaments. Just remember to put a hole in the top of the “cookies” before you bake them. (A straw works great.) And shellac or varnish over your paint and you’re all set.
Make It Yourself Play Dough
makes enough for a couple dozen small – medium (3 inch) cut outs
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water
1. Put all ingredients into the bowl of your mixer and mix together into a stiff dough.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured board or countertop and knead 5 minutes.
3. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
4. Bake 300 for 45 minutes – 1 hour. “Cookies” should feel hard when you tap them.
5. Cool “cookies” and then paint with watercolors (or other paint). These are great to play with at this point, but if you are hoping for longer term lifespan than a few days, apply shellac or other varnish.