A little something decadent makes a salad or cheese plate so much more interesting. Make a batch of these candied walnuts to enjoy with Roasted Beets or simply sprinkle them on a board with two or three of your favorite cheeses and dried fruits. Voilà. Appetizer. (Or dessert.)
(Adapted from San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers’ Market Cookbook by Christopher Hirsheimer and Peggy Knickerbocker)
- 8 oz. walnut halves
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. bourbon whiskey (or omit and use 1 more Tbsp. water)
- 1 Tbsp. butter & pinch of flake sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In large heavy skillet, combine sugar, water, and bourbon over medium-high heat and cook, until sugar dissolves and syrup comes to a boil. Add the walnuts, butter, salt and cook, stirring constantly, until syrup coats the nuts and almost no liquid syrup is left in the pan.
- Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.