This morning, after pilates and before sitting down to write, I drank some juice. Not because I was on a “cleanse” or a juice fast, but because my body wanted it. (And because my daughter and I had made a batch the day before and it only lasts a day or two.) I shook the jar and poured a glass. The colors were so vibrant and beautiful…they begged for a photo. So I took this one. And then, I drank the juice. The green one is sweet with spinach and pineapple, slightly tart and spicy thanks to grapefruit and jalapeño. The ruby one is beet, carrot, apple and ginger, a pretty standard combo. Both are cool, lively and delicious.
I hope you’ll make yourself some juice real soon! I use a Breville juicer but you can make juice without a juicer by using a blender then squeezing the pulp through a fine mesh strainer or a few layers of cheesecloth — check out Dana’s post at Minimalist Baker.
A few juicing guidelines:
- fresh fruits and veggies are best
- best enjoyed the day it is made but it will keep a couple days in glass, in refrigerator
- lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges: no peels (cut away and discard prior to juicing)
- ginger: a quick peel with the side of a spoon makes things easier on your juicer
- more about ginger: I like to make a pure ginger juice and keep a jar in the refrigerator for adding a tablespoon or two to juice, tea, or water (ginger juice is longer lived that others, I store it for up to a week)
- parsley is excellent in juices, add some to any green juice and see if you like it
- ratios of the fruits and veggies determine the flavor outcome, but you can wing it and experiment—lots of recipes out on the web, and some coming up next…
- Carrot Cucumber Apple Pear: carrots (6), cucumber (3), apple (3), pear (3), lemon (1)
- Chard Carrot Apple/Pear: 1 bunch of chard or kale, carrots (2), celery (2), cucumber (2), apple or pear (2), lemon (1), 2″ ginger, + a few mint leaves if you have them
- “Viya’s Spicy Juice”: carrots (3), celery (2), apple (2), beet (1) or 3 leaves kale or chard, lemon (1), cucumber (½ ), 2″ ginger
Beet, Carrot, Apple & Ginger Juice
makes about a quart
- 6 beets scrubbed clean under water
- 4 carrots
- 2 apples small
- 2 inches ginger
Send through a juicer and enjoy!
Morning Green Juice from Nourish Kitchen Table, NYC
makes about 16 oz.
- 1/3 pineapple rind removed
- 1 grapefruit rind removed
- 5 handfuls spinach
- 1/2 celery stalk
- 6 mint leaves
- ½ - 1 teaspoon jalapeño finely diced
Send through juicer and enjoy!