Once you have the hard boiled egg thing down, you’ll be making this salad for dinner regularly: honey Dijon dressing, thinly sliced shallot or red onion, crisp bacon (Beeler’s is my current favorite, at the Co-Op in Bozeman), boiled egg, and the freshest spinach you can find (thank you Strike Farms!) This is also a great salad to serve for brunch. Try it with a glass of Beaujolais and a crispy baguette.
- 2 Tablespoons red wine, sherry, or champagne vinegar
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping teaspoon honey
- a couple pinches sea salt
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- salad ingredients: 1 shallot, cut in half and finely sliced OR 1/4 red onion, finely sliced; spinach; cooked bacon; hard boiled egg (1 per person)
- In a small glass measure or jar, whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and salt. While whisking, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the black pepper. Your dressing is ready to go!
- Compose the salad ingredients in the bottom of a large salad bowl, starting with the shallot or onions. Add desired amount of dressing and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients: Wash and spin dry the spinach. Cook the bacon and crumble or chop. Boil the eggs, cool, peel and slice.
- Add spinach, chopped bacon, sliced eggs to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Add more dressing if it looks like you need it. Enjoy!