Posted by Amy Andrews

Categories Brunch & Breakfast, Desserts, Jams & Fruit Sauces, Tips: Fruit Desserts

Comments 18 comments

Compote de Pommes Two Ways w/French Fridays with Dorie

compotedepommes

Apple turnover filling, fragrant and slightly sweet.  Luscious dessert with a dollop of crème fraîche.  Sweet-tart partner to a pork chop.  A spread for toast, concentrated to a thick, dark fruit-butter.  Compote de pommes can be many things, but basically it’s applesauce.  Simmer it to life yourself, instead of openning a jar from the grocery, and experience applesauce as Grandma knew it, and as it was meant to be.

Recipe for Compote de Pommes Two Ways, pp. 392-393, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan. Get the book, cook with us, and join the fun at French Fridays with Dorie!

Applesauce

Ingredients

• 6 apples, washed
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar

Instructions

1. Cut the apples into chunks and toss them into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
  2. Add water, sprinkle with sugar and cook over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are soft enough to smash with a wooden spoon. This will probably take 20 minutes.
  3. Pass the apples through a food mill to remove skin, seeds and stems. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface and chill until ready to eat.

18 comments on “Compote de Pommes Two Ways w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. Kathy

This was a good applesauce…loved the hint of vanilla!

2. Betsy

This was a delicious applesauce. You need to try it with the vanilla and butter. The French know what they’re doing!

Amy Andrews

Ok, I’m going to try it! So many of you are singing its praises! 🙂

3. Margaret

Simple and delicious. And the vanilla really made it.

Amy Andrews

Hi Margaret! I think I forgot the vanilla — will have to do it again, perhaps this time the cooked-down version w/butter. Mmmm!

Amy Andrews

Thank you! Aren’t they lovely? So interesting to find new varieties — glad someone is growing them!

4. Adriana

What a pretty picture! I admit the applesauce is not that photogenic itself. I opted out of adding the vanilla but the butter definitely enhances the texture and flavor.

Amy Andrews

Hi Adriana, thanks for the visit! I’ll have to go back and try the butter version. (Once I get through pie-mode!)

5. Candy

I liked this recipe too. Your idea of calvados is brilliant! I made mine rough and served with marscapone. Then after being inspired by the other Doristas, I made another batch using pears too, along with cardamom, a bit of lemon zest and the vanilla – then used the food mill. Yummy too. So happy you had fun with this!!

Amy Andrews

Yum! Pear-sauce. I’m going to try that.

6. Tricia

Yup- can’t believe I never made it from scratch before this week….but I will be making it many times again !! Loving the idea of Calvados too.

Amy Andrews

Thanks for the visit! I know — so easy and so rewarding to make. And it can make a fairly satisfying, and fairly healthful dessert. (She says, as she plans a return visit to the pumpkin pie in the fridge for tonight’s dessert…)

7. EmilyC

Love the varieties you used! Such lovely colors!

Amy Andrews

Thanks, Emily! Yes, we were lucky to get a variety of different mostly-locally grown apples at the Co-Op this year.

8. KarenP

Applesauce is so easy to make, I don’t know why I don’t do it more often!

Amy Andrews

I feel the same way! Don’t even have to peel them — what could be easier and more delicious??

9. Teresa

I love the various apples you used – so pretty together.