Caramel-Almond Custard Tart w/French Fridays with Dorie

caramel almond custard

Our American pecan pies must have originated from a recipe like this French standard, but somewhere along the way we overdosed on the sugar and lost the essence of toasted nut.  Go back to the basics with Dorie’s stovetop cream caramel poured into a prebaked tart crust filled with toasted almonds.  This would be a great recipe for your Thanksgiving dessert selection!

I made my crust using a new flour blend I’m playing with.  It didn’t want to roll, so I pressed it into the tart pan, and it baked up perfectly.  Not as crispy as a wheat flour pastry, but a good starting point.  Let me work out the kinks and then I’ll post.  The flour blend I’m using is my riff on Cup 4 Cup and a blend I read about in the CIA’s Gluten Free Baking book; contains  white rice, brown rice, potato, tapioca and dried milk powder.

Recipe for Caramel-Almond Custard Tart, p. 457, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan. Get the book, cook with us and join the fun at French Fridays with Dorie!

12 comments on “Caramel-Almond Custard Tart w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. Margaret

YOur tart looks lovely.

Amy Andrews

Thanks Margaret! I appreciate you visiting.

2. EmilyC

I do love the pan you used and lovely colors in your tart!

Amy Andrews

Thank you, Emily. I hunted high and low for that rectangle tart pan — it is so easy to serve in that form. Thanks!!

3. Tricia S.

Curious about that flour and kudos to you for trying that combination- I am learning that gluten free is a bit hit or miss (but worth it) when you are trying a recipe for the first time. For the record, I made my crust without a Cuisinart this time and it is no way resembled what it should have…even after I gave up and used my hands to meld it together. A few small handfuls of water did the trick but my point is that none of these are without adjusting so at least yours was gluten free in the end ! And spot on about that pecan pie flavor. Loved this and how it was way less sweet….

Amy Andrews

Ha! I should try the recipe verbatim the first time, but it is so hard to control myself! Ha. No way could I roll my GF pastry — had to press it in. Hey, maybe we should boost popularity of “crumble crusts”!

4. Betsy

This reminded me of pecan pie too, albeit a much lighter version despite the cream. It would be perfect on the Thanksgiving table.

Amy Andrews

Hi Betsy! Thanks for the note. Ya, going to have to try this one again it was so good!

5. Guyla

Your tart looks delicious! It must be hard to adapt recipes to gluten free cooking. Good for you for trying new things.

Amy Andrews

Hi Guyla! Thanks for the encouragement — GF is certainly taxing. So glad I don’t have to live that way. I like to get good results when I invest the ingredients and time into baking — always a crap shoot w/GF.

6. Cher

Yes, the caramel custard is what a dessert should be like.
    Gluten free baking is a whole animal of its own, isn’t it?

Amy Andrews

Oh gosh…it is a BEAR. So glad to not have to abide 100%. I do think I have a decent new, more bake-able flour mix, thanks to a CIA baking book. Still, nothing performs like wheat, barley, rye and oats!