Posted by Amy Andrews

Categories Beef & Bison

Comments 18 comments

Boeuf à la Mode w/French Fridays with Dorie

Boeufalamode

Today’s French Friday featured pot roast, of which I am a big fan.  What better one-dish meal than slow cooked beef that turns tender in a sauce of wine and a select few aromatic veggies?  Basically, you brown a chuck roast then slowly simmer in 4 cups liquid for a 2 lb. roast, 8 cups for 4 pounds.  My takeaways from Dorie’s recipe include:  use plenty of wine, not too many veggies, and Cognac makes everything taste better!  My simple recipe is here, but do see Dorie’s for more careful technique, and to achieve the layered flavors that arise from the additions of a bouquet garni, Cognac, anchovies and tomato paste.

Recipe for Boeuf à la Mode, pp. 252 – 253, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan. Get the book, cook with us and join the fun at French Fridays with Dorie!

18 comments on “Boeuf à la Mode w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. EmilyC

Hi Amy,
    Your own simple recipe looks good.

Amy Andrews

Thanks, Emily! Potroast is one of the simplest of things to make – the first thing I like to teach people who are overly recipe-connected to cook.

Amy Andrews

Thanks, Emily! I’m all about simple (and am stingy about using multiple pots as I don’t much care for dishpan hands!) 🙂

2. Betsy

I can’t say I’m a big fan of pot roast because this is only the 2nd time I’ve eaten it. However, I liked it enough to make it again. The sauce and aroma were so enticing.

Amy Andrews

Hi Betsy! I hope you try more pot roasts — I find it is a fun way to clean some of the liquids out of the fridge, from beer to cider to maple syrup to stock — it all works!

3. Adriana

I also used 2 lbs of beef and kept all the cooking liquid. I really loved all the layers of the flavor. There might have been steps skipped in mine but I did not forget a single ingredient. 🙂

Amy Andrews

I just realized I forgot the anchovies! And it is weeks later! Ha! Thanks for visiting. 🙂

4. gaaarp

Your pot roast looks great! I love pot roast, and this one definitely did not disappoint.

Amy Andrews

Thanks! Figuring out how to photo while staying ahead of the diminishing sunlight and holding off the hungry diners is always a challenge. 🙂

5. Tricia S.

Love your take-aways…especially that cognac makes everything better. Words to live by !! Great job on the pot roast ~

Amy Andrews

Thank you, Tricia! Appreciate the comments — sorry it takes me awhile to return the kindness, but I do so love our cooking group!

6. Alice

For sure cognac makes everything taste scrummy!! 🙂 Love it!!! Happy to have you in the group! 🙂

Amy Andrews

Thanks, Alice! I’m going to have to make a trip to the special liquor store to restock my Cognac for the season — I’m used to just putting it in the grocery cart as a staple in CA. Not here in MT! Sheesh.

7. Cher

Pot roast is one of the first things I learned to cook on my own (that and lasagna). It’s still one of my favorites!

Love the vegetable sides.

Amy Andrews

Thanks, Cher! Good thing the veggies were a bit more photogenic than the glistening beef chunks! Ha!

8. Christy

It did have a lot of great layers of flavors. I missed more vegetables, but enjoyed the other elements to the dish – however, it was a tad labor intensive!

Amy Andrews

I hear ya with that labor intensive comment. I like my “pot roasts” to not dirty more than one pot! 🙂