I’m a fan of having cooked potatoes in the fridge, especially when the potatoes are the little heirlooms you can find popping up at the farmer’s markets now days. Simply scrub them under running water, and boil them in salted water until fork tender. Once cooked, you cut down the time it takes to make a great meal, whether it’s breakfast (skillet potatoes and eggs) or an entrée salad like the classic Niçoise, this Friday’s French Friday with Dorie recipe. Keep Mediterranean staples in your pantry, like olives, capers, tuna, anchovies, oil and vinegar, and this salad becomes a simple, one-dish meal.
Recipe for Salad Niçoise, pp. 125 – 126, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan. Get the book, cook with us and join the fun at French Fridays with Dorie!
- 12 small potatoes, scrubbed
- a couple handsful green beans
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 jars or tins tuna (4 - 6 oz. each), packed in olive oil (try Tonnino for a quality experience)
- salad greens
- cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes cut into chunks
- small olives (Niçoise, but any will do)
- capers (drained and patted dry)
- anchovies (rinsed and patted dry)
- 2 Tbsp. wine vinegar (red or white or sherry)
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
- a couple pinches sea salt
- a couple grinds of fresh black pepper
- 4 - 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Cook until they are tender enough to be pierced easily with the tip of a knife, 10 - 20 minutes. Scoop them out of the pot and put them in a bowl to cool.
- Blanch the green beans in the potato water until they are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the beans and put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain, then pat dry.
- Make the vinaigrette: Add vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper to a small glass measuring cup or jar and let sit 10 - 15 minutes to mellow the shallot. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking constantly.
- Assemble the salad, on one large platter, or individual plates: salad greens, halved potatoes, green beans, halved eggs, tuna, tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies and drizzle with the shallot vinaigrette.