Posted by Amy Andrews

Categories Beef & Bison, Soups & Stews

Comments 7 comments

Beef Cheek Daube with Carrots and Elbow Macaroni w/French Fridays with Dorie

beefcheekdaube

I’ve never served pasta with my stews before, but when you have a rich sauce like this one, it is a great idea!  (Thanks, Dorie!)  I didn’t plan far enough in advance to buy actual beef cheeks, but it is awesome what a conversation about them does for your relationship with your butcher!  Mary at the Co-op suggested the Bison chuck roast from Broken Willow Bison Ranch, and it was very good.   For the wine, a Malbec; very fun to sample while cooking in the afternoon, and it made a beautiful, rich, dark-plum-delicious sauce.

Recipe for Beef Cheef Daube with Carrots and Elbow Macaroni pp. 246-247, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan

7 comments on “Beef Cheek Daube with Carrots and Elbow Macaroni w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. Sara

Oooh, bison! I’ve always wanted to try it, but never had the right excuse. Maybe I’ll try this again and find some bison to go with it! Looks great!

2. loavesandstitches

Great idea to use bison! I loved the pasta as well. It was just right to soak up that sauce.

3. Cher Rockwell

I think butcher’s need more friends 🙂
    We used a Malbec too and thought it went great with this stew.

4. Trevor Sis Boom

I feel silly to not have thought of bison as a suitably exotic sub for the cheeks. Darn. I’ll def do that next time!

5. Kathy

I have never cooked bison….it sounds like a perfect substitute in the daube! Lovely!

6. Andrea_TheKitchenLioness

What a wonderful dark, rich color your Bison Daube has – just wonderful! I am sure it tasted just fabulous!
    Have a great weekend!

7. Mary Hirsch

Bison would be a great choice, I think, because it’s so lean. Any fat that was left on my beef chuck, I trimmed off. I always use bison meat for my hamburgers and they are delcious. I couldn’t find beef cheeks but I loved the end result of this daube. Yes, the sauce was devine.