Mushroom and Shallot Quiche w/French Fridays with Dorie

mushroomshallotquiche

The crust is the only thing to slow you down with this one, so you have a couple choices.  Make it a day or two ahead or make an easier crust.  As much trouble as this pastry gave me while “rolling it”, it was pretty forgiving of being rolled+pressed into the tart pan, and turned out crispy and delicious when baked.  The thyme is the star here, so definitely try to get some fresh sprigs.

I would call this a tart, not a quiche, as it is quite low-profile on the custard dimension, but it is delicious!  A great one for brunch, lunch or dinner.

Recipe for Mushroom and Shallot Quiche, p. 162 , from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan

8 comments on “Mushroom and Shallot Quiche w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. Candy (Dulce)

Amy, your “tart” looks delicious! I agree, not very much custard on this one. I had fresh thyme from the garden, you are right, it really made for a great flavor combination.

Love your sqare pan! I forget to use any of my other ones. Looks fabulous. Have a great weekend!

2. Geraldine Saucier

Lovely quiche. I need to get busy and make this one – everyone loved it.

3. Betsy

What a beautiful tart, Amy! For some reason, Dorie’s quiche recipes all seem to be a bit light on custard, but it makes the filling really shine. I agree that the thyme is the star here. Fortunately, I still have some growing right outside the back door.

4. Yummy

Love that you can see your mushrooms on top! Mine got covered by the egg mixture. =(

5. Mary Hirsch

Whatever you wish to call it, Amy, a tart or a quiche, it was tasty and delicious, wasn’t it? No one else has mentioned the little kick given to the dish by the thyme but I loved that. I had never sprinkled a minced fresh herb on a pre-baked crust before pouring in the custard and filling but I enjoyed the taste of that. I used a bit more of the fresh thyme than Dorie called for also.

6. sanya smith

Love your quiche, looks delicious!

7. Cher Rockwell

Yes – it was delicious no matter what the name. The thyme was a real highlight in this dish.

8. Amy Andrews

Hi gals! Thanks so much for your comments, it makes me smile to find other cooks and bakers that enjoy creating in the kitchen as much as I do. Geraldine, I hope you did get time to try this one. I’ll go check your site now…
    🙂