Posted by Amy Andrews

Categories Fruit Desserts (Pies, Tarts & Cobblers), Tips: Fruit Desserts

Comments 6 comments

Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart w/French Fridays with Dorie

applealmondtart

Criterion apples, freshly delivered from Washington.  Perfect timing for the Dorie recipe of the week – thanks Mom & Dad!  I’ve never had a Criterion before — a cross of Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and one I’ve never heard of, Winter Banana – firm, sweet and tart; it bakes just right in this tart.  Long live heirloom fruits!

This tart is easy and fun to put together, thanks to the filo leaves, and terrific to share at the table with ice cream and freshly whipped cream.  The almond cream that sets the apples into the crust is almost like a flattened macaron cookie.  Yummy.

Recipe for Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart, pp. 458-459, from Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan

6 comments on “Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart w/French Fridays with Dorie”

1. Yummy

I made the no almond cream version, but I’ll definitely have to try it now!

2. Adriana

I love how the apples look with their peels! Kind of makes me want to try this now with alternating unpeeled slices of different colored apples. I also like your description of the almond creme.

3. Maria Zioga

Yes it is exactly like a flattened macaroon cookie!! There are so many varieties of apples they make my head spin every time I go to the market. Lovely tart!!!

4. Cher Rockwell

It always amazes me how many varieties of apples are out there. Looks great!

5. Mary Hirsch

Tell us more about the Criterion. How did it taste just as an eating apple, which I suspect it is. Or, is it better for cooking. Yes, I love anything heirloom – veggies and fruit. Your pastry looks tasty and love that you left some peels on them.

6. Betsy

I’ve never heard of Criterion apples before (or Winter Banana). Your tart looks lovely. I loved the flavor of the flattened macaron filling.